• Sun. May 22nd, 2022

Sydney drug lord accused Baluch in court

ByJanice K. Merrill

Nov 11, 2021

Accused drug lord Mostafa Baluch made no attempt at bail in a Sydney court after allegedly cutting off his ankle monitor and attempting to enter Queensland.

The fugitive was shackled and brought back from the Gold Coast to Sydney on Thursday evening under police surveillance before his case was called on Friday morning.

Baluch’s desperate attempt for freedom came to an end when he was found hiding in a gray Mercedes concealed in a shipping container carried in the back of a truck.

He had fled police when he was arrested in a botched attempt to cross the Queensland border on Wednesday morning.

Defense lawyer Moustafa Kheir said his client did not need to appear by video link in the Sydney Central Local Court and confirmed that he would not seek bail.

Magistrate Margaret Quinn has confirmed that her bail has been officially revoked.

Baluch is charged with a series of drug offenses relating to a shipment of 900 kg of cocaine to Australia with a market value of $ 270 million.

He also faces additional charges for breaching his bond and will then appear in court on December 1.

His lawyer declined to comment outside of court.

More than two weeks earlier, police said Baluch cut off an ankle monitor while on bail and started “one of the biggest fugitive hunts in the country.”

Police allege he was planning to flee Queensland overseas.

Queensland officers searched dozens of trucks before focusing on the container after noticing it was not properly secured.

After a night at the Southport Watchhouse, Baluch’s extradition request was granted without objection.

Wearing green prison clothes, with hand and leg restraints, Baluch left Southport guardhouse at around 1 p.m. under police escort.

He was taken to Coolangatta Airport and transported by PolAir6 – a Cessna Grand Caravan – to Bankstown Airport.

Prior to his arrest in Queensland, the accused pivot was last seen in Bayview on Sydney’s northern beaches on October 25, days after being released on bail.

He was released on strict conditions, including a $ 4 million bail for his waterfront home in Bayview.

The man driving the truck Baluch was found in – which police say owns a transport business – was also arrested.

The 46-year-old was charged with committing an act aimed at perverting the course of justice and refused bail.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.